The Gospel Story
Becoming a Follower of Christ
Each of us in life chooses to follow someone or something.
Would you like to follow Christ as your Savior and Leader?
Quality life here and forever
- God invites us to be in His family. “Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God,” John 1:12.
- God invites us to be with Him forever. “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life,” John 3:16.
- He invites us to a special life of purpose here. “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life and have it to the full,” John 10:10.
Yet, each of us has a problem that prevents us from following Jesus. It’s called sin…
OUR PROBLEM – Sin
Sin is missing the mark, falling short,
breaking the moral standards of God.
- Sin is every person’s problem. “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,” Romans 3:23.
- Sin has a huge price tag. “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Jesus Christ our Lord,” Romans 6:23.
- No matter how “good” we are, we can’t save ourselves. “But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy,” Titus 3:4-5a.
God did an amazing thing to take care of our sin problem.
Jesus came our way and paid our sin debt.
Reflect on the awesome life of Jesus:
- His miraculous birth – “Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son and will call him Immanuel,” Isaiah 7:14.
- His unparalleled teachings, miracles, and healings – “When Jesus had finished saying these things, the crowds were amazed at his teaching, because he taught as one who had authority and not as their teachers of the law,” Matthew 7:28-29 “So he [Jesus] said to the [paralyzed] man, ‘I tell you, get up, take your mat and go home.’ He got up, took his mat and walked out in full view of them all. This amazed everyone and they praised God, saying, ‘We have never seen anything like this.’” Mark 2:12.
- His perfect life – “But you know that he appeared so that he might take away our sins. And in him is no sin,” 1 John 3:5. “For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are – yet he did not sin,” Hebrews 4:15.
- His sacrificial death – “For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit,” 1 Peter 3:18.
- His resurrection – “For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: That Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, and that he appeared to Cephas, and the to the Twelve. After that he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers and sisters at the same time…” 1 Corinthians 15:3-6a.
Each of us must make an individual decision
about following Jesus Christ.
Each of us is invited to make a decision to follow Christ as Savior and Leader.
This commitment includes:
- Confession – agreeing with God that I have sinned and need His forgiveness – “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all sin,” 1 John 1:9.
- Repentance (a spiritual U-turn) – “Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord,” Acts 3:19.
- Placing my faith in Christ – “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith – and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God,- not by works, so that no one can boast,” Ephesians 2:8-9.
- Following Jesus for life – “After this, Jesus went out and saw a tax collector by the name of Levi sitting at his tax booth. ‘Follow me,’ Jesus said to him, and Levi got up, left everything and followed him,’” Luke 5:27-28.
The gospel story is totally unique; there is no other story like it on the planet. Are you ready to say “Yes!” to His invitation to follow Christ? Would you like to begin that saving relationship now? In Peter’s great message in Acts 2:21, he quotes from the book of Joel: “’And everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.’” Does this prayer express the desire of your heart? If so, make it your prayer: “Lord, thank you for loving me. Thank you for dying on the cross for me. I know that I am a sinner and that I need a Savior. I believe Jesus is the Savior of the world, and now I want Him to be my Savior. I know you have been speaking to me. I now open the door of my life and ask you to be my Savior and Leader. Thank you for forgiving me of my sins. Thank you for giving me a home in heaven. I will follow you the rest of my life. Now help me to grow and become the person you want me to be. In Jesus’ name I pray…Amen!”
If you just made this personal commitment to follow Christ: Welcome to God’s family!! This is the most important decision any person could ever make! Now it’s time to grow! We grow as we…
- Read and apply the principles from the Bible
- Follow Christ in baptism
- Hang out with other Christ-followers
- Serve others
- Share the story of Christ with others